Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I stand corrected!

Apparently Dominca, or the small island country to the north of us (Guadalupe... pronounced gwadaLOOP), does have at least 1 helicopter.  It flew over me today as I was cooling off in the ocean after my run.  :-)  I have to say, having the campus athletic center steps away from the ocean is kinda nice.  After running a very chilly few miles on the treadmill in air conditioning I always go hop in the ocean to warm up / cool off..... and by cool off mostly I mean work on my tan. Haha!  Seriously though, it feels great and it washes some of the sweat off my gym clothes.  Ew!
Today as I was in the ocean I was almost carried away by the HUGE waves.  Seriously!  I lost my footing and got dunked a few times.  I think they're so big because of Hurricane Sandy, which is like 2,000 miles away from us right now.  Crazy how something so far away can have an impact.  Oceans are BIG and waves are kind of creepy.  They NEVER stop coming!  Have you ever watched waves come in at night?  They move really fast!  Anyway, I hope people on the east coast stay safe.
I also tried to rescue a bee from drowning in the ocean today. It was an eventful 10 minute swim!  At first I thought it was dead but then I saw it moving.  I had my shirt in my hand so I scooped it up and blew on it until it dried off.  Then it tried to fly away but it must have been tired b/c it only got about 3 feet from me before it fell right back to the water.  I was done swimming so I picked it up again and took it up on shore where I set it down on some ruins to dry while I turned around to watch the waves crashing.  So weird for here because this ocean usually looks like a calm lake!  After just a few minutes that darn bee flew right to my feet and plopped down in the sand.  Just than a rather large wave came in and swept him out to sea.  I think he must have had a death wish.  I was kinda ticked after my efforts to save him.  Oh well, I tried.
Today was our last day of lecture before our test on Thursday.  Not gonna lie, I'm nervous.  I don't feel nearly as prepared as I want to.  I think many of us are starting to hit the wall.  It's not easy having your brain SERIOUSLY engaged for this many hours / day for this many days in a row.  Seriously.  I've never spent so much effort on learning - and that includes learning Russian on my mission which was DANG hard and took a lot of effort.  It really is amazing that we all chose to go through this.... because sometimes it feels a bit like torture :-)
I will be grateful someday I'm sure.  The good news is no class tomorrow or Wednesday so I'll have a LOT of time to study.  I think I should be ok.  I am excited for the next block though: Cardio and Respiratory Systems!  I LOVED the heart when I studied it at BYU.  Plus that means Christmas break is almost here.  Hooray!

PS - here's the sunset w/ those huge waves.
Usually the ocean is totally calm and about 3 feet lower than this dock.
The waves were knocking loose some of the planks even!


2 comments:

  1. A) Waves are TOTALLY creepy! I agree

    B) I save bees from the water all the time too! haha!

    C) Rad photo

    D) I'm jealous of your island life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe bees aren't even indigenous to your island. Maybe that bee got blown off course and was trying to get back to his home across the sea... I am impressed by your compassion though. Good luck on the test. I know you'l do well.

    ReplyDelete