Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Monday, 09/17/2012

First mini (aka midterm) of the semester was given on Monday, 09/17.  I was a nervous WRECK!  Haha.  Seriously, I was stressin!  I felt slightly unprepared - even thouhg I had gone through all of the powerpoint slides - along w/ my notes on them - for all of the material we had covered.  I felt like I knew my stuff pretty well but still....  You wonder if you're study methods are good enough.  You wonder if you hit the material that the profs are going to ask questions on.  PLUS it's the first test so you have no idea what to expect when it comes to question formatting and all that jazz.  Yeah, I was nervous.
The test started at 8 am, which was nice.  I felt like I wanted to vomit right up until getting started but as soon as I read the first question I knew I'd be ok.  Super straight forward questions AND answer options.  It was just fine.  For almost every question I either knew it b/c I remembered studying it or I didn't know it b/c I knew I hadn't spent enough time on it.  No surprises at all.  I love that!  It was timed and they only gave us about 90 seconds / question so that was a bit tough.  I had 5 questions left at 4 minutes to go and I missed one of them b/c they called for pencils down before I was ready.  I was debating between options D & E and I panicked and put C.  DOH!  The correct answer was D, which is what I was leaning toward..... better luck next time I guess...
Anyway, I walked away feeling really pretty great about it, which surprised me a lot!  It was not at all like most of my undergrad tests, which just about left me in tears and ALWAYS gave me headaches from trying to figure what exactly they were asking in every single question.  After finishing the mini I kept thinking, "I feel like I got a B".  But that kind of made me nervous b/c everyone always talks about how hard it is.  Turns out I got a 79 which is the highest point in the B range.  Had I got that stupid last question right I think I would've had an 80 or an 81 and therefore an A-.  SHOOT!  Still, I'm very pleased - especially b/c the class average of those who passed was a 73.  And I know there were a lot of people who didn't pass too. Man, I'm glad I'm not in that boat!  Those people now have to do super well on the final at the end of the semester to pass the semester. Talk about stressful!
So we were finished with the exam by 10:30.  Almost..... no wait, actually ALL of my peers (except for the branch members) headed for the bars.  Seriosly people were getting totally wasted and it was only 11 AM.  Stupid.  I wanted to enjoy my day off!  It was kind of drizzling outside but I hit the beach anyway.  A few of the ward members came and joined me.  It rained while we were in the water but we were wet anyway so it didn't matter much.  The Stenquists let me borrow their snorkel gear. That was pretty fun! I've never really done any snorkeling so I don't have anything to compare it to, but there is a LOT to look at down there!  A few of the stray dogs that hang around campus found their way down to the beach and proceeded to dig up and wrestle/fight with crabs.  Talk about hilarious!  Those crabs were SO angry and the dogs were having the time of their lives!  Anyway, It felt great to have the rest of the day off to relax :-)
That night all 8 of us first semester students and everyone's families tried to go out to eat at this really nice place on the Atlantic side of the Island.  Supposedly it's this great restaurant that sits on one of the nicest beaches on the island.  Turns out it was closed b/c of the poor weather.  We hit up a different one instead and it was quite the experience. :-)  Let me just start out by saying that my curry chicken was AMAZING!  That being said, there was only one waitress and one cook to serve over 20 people.  It took like 2 hours to get all our food out to us.  Those who got hamburgers got the worst of it.  No buns, so they used bread that was about a month old instead.  Haha!  It seriously looked, sounded and I'm sure it tasted like it had been petrified.  Almost everyone ordered their kids a hamburger.  The poor little guys couldn't even bite through the bread.  Ahahaha! I'm chuckling just thinking about it.  It was pretty funny.  So, not quite the outing we were hoping for.  We were expecting a nice beach and some great food but got a rooftop balcony and some pretty good memories instead.

Here's a few shots of the view off the balcony:



No comments:

Post a Comment